Monday, January 28, 2008

When is it going to be Spring?

Belmont Shore, Jan. 28, 2008

It’s Monday night here in Long Beach and I wanted to take this opportunity to learn how to use blogger.com, so here we go.

Let me set the stage. My wife Ruth and I are on the second floor of our home in Belmont Shore. We're both on our computers. She's on her Mac looking for an old friend that she hasn't seen for about 30 years and I'm here on a PC with my Bose headphones on listening to XM radio. The station I like is Blend (Ch.25) and Chrome (Ch.83). Right now neither seems very good.

Yesterday it rained here. I don't know where you live, but here in Southern California we've have a few days of rain the past week. It actually feels pretty good when the air is clean and clear. We went to our local farmers market around noon to pick up some fresh vegetables, eggs and fruit. By the time we finished shopping it was pouring down rain and the wind was blowing too. Fortunately we took our rain gear.

On our way home I wanted to drive by Belmont Shore beach to see if there were any kite boarders out on the water. That's what I like to do, kite board. Well to my surprise there was a blue Best kite out. I could tell it was Chad Belteau. He's a really good kite boarder that comes to this beach quite a bit.

In So.Cal. there are a number of beaches to choose from. North of LB you can kite at Cabrillo Beach, Torrance, Santa Monica, and all the way up to Ventura. South you can find great spots very close by at Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, and Huntington. Most of the time I just kite here at Belmont because it's only a few hundred feet from my garage, where I keep my kite gear. I admit that I'm a little spoiled, but on occasion I drive down to Seal or Sunset with my friends because the wave conditions are much better there. Belmont is usually pretty flat, which is great for learning.

I decided it was time to add a picture I took of Chad. It probably doesn't look like it but it was really raining. I pulled our Honda CR-V to the end to the launch ramp and opened the driver side window and took this shot. Then I realized the wind was blowing the rain into the car and all over the dash board, front seat and all over me. It was time to move the car.


When I turned the car I noticed Kyle Van running up the beach with his kite. I caught him unrolling his kite lines. Do you notice the trash can to his right? This is our beach hangout spot. When we tell someone to meet us at the beach we usually say, "We'll meet you at the trash can." I didn't think of it until now but that must seem pretty stupid, oh yeah the blue trash can......sure????



Even though you may not be up on kiting terms, this is called a bottom turn. After Chad makes
the turn he heads for the wave and jumps it. Unfortunately I didn't catch any of his jumps. The next shot is as close as I got to catching one of his jumps. Sorry Chad.


But I think you get the idea. A kite boarder uses the wave as a launch ramp, like a snow boarder or skate boarder, and we just fly off the lip. I remember reading about a guy who won a kite jumping contest in Maui that used the wave to propel him to a big win. I think he jumped over 50 feet.


I don't know why but I can't always figure out how to place the text next to the picture. I guess it just takes time to learn the software.


Here's a shot where I got lucky. I just hung my
camera out the car and shot away. When I looked
at it I noticed I caught Kyle almost at the apex of a great jump. The funny thing when I showed him the shot he said, "Yeah, I got about five feet on that one." To me it looks about 20 feet when you figure he is about 5 foot, four inches, my eye calc's it at about 20. What do you think?

Well I'm going to post this blog now. We'll see how it comes out. Don't be afraid to add your comments.



4 Comments:

At January 29, 2008 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Sjaak said...

That looks really good Jim. Nice pictures, nice story.

 
At January 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a fun sport. I was thinking about getting into a new hobby, but I hate the smell of trash! So, if I got into this sport, would I have to camp by the trash can?
If so, can I bring a lid to cover the trash? If so, and decide I just want to watch the kiters, cuz I am scared-to-death-of-crashing-my-kite on-some-kids-building-sand-castles, can I put my beer in a milk carton and secretly drink it by the trash can? And if so, and I drink too much milk/beer and I am too stewed to drive home, can I just crash out in your garage since you are close to the beach? I promise not to harass Scooby.
Seriously....wait a minute...I AM SERIOUS!!
But seriously...good job Jim! I like the format and pictures much better than the email format.
Love Ya!
Timmy

 
At January 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM , Blogger bajakiter said...

You're a serious blogger now. I can't wait for the real kiting sessions and wind reports this year.

Mark

 
At January 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM , Blogger dolphingirl said...

Go for it, Honey! Like I have said since you were involved in water ski racing, bike riding on the streets of LA, skate blading down parking structures, or even windsurfing---the life insurance is paid up, have a good time!!

I will continue to operate the food and drink area at our "camping" site or on our front patio, going for an occasional swim to "high 5" you on the water. That's enough water for me right now! But I do enjoy watching all the Peter Pan boys on the water!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home