Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Let's do an Adventure!!!!!"

Wednesday August 4th, 2010

Another fun adventure with Klaus

Anyone that kites Belmont knows Klaus Schulz. The reason you haven't seen him lately is because he's been working his butt off for over a month. He called me last night to say he was back in town after working in Illinois and Oklahoma, and he wanted to kite. I said "It looks good" so he drove up to the house at a little past 3 and he said "I'm ready to kite!!!"

Actually for the past few days the wind has come up at around 4 o"clock and shut off at 6:30, but we don't want to put down the Wind God because she's been very good to us for the past few days. We've kited six out of the past seven days. We only got skunked last Saturday.

Anyway after we pumped up Klaus said "Let's do an adventure!!!" You have to understand, that means we're going to do some serious kiting.

We went down to the launch ramp, rigged, and went out. We basically did a straight tack to the windward side of the oil platform off of Seal. Beach. It was fun because Klaus was being very kid like, jumping, weaving and just playing. Though the water after the marina was pretty choppy.

When we jibed to go back to Belmont it was weird because Klaus was hugging the beach but I was able to stay up-wind very close to the leeward side of Chaffee Island. We were both on 15's, so I think it was because I was on a directional board. At one point I looked back and noticed a small outboard following me. I thought at first it was a Seal Lifeguard trying t0 catch me. Maybe give me a ticket??? But then I realized it was a small Boston Whaler who was using me as a water draft. The boat was only 8 or 10 feet long and he followed me all of the way past Chaffee Island and used me to break the waves...WHAT?????

From there I decided to head to the pier and for the moment said "Bye bye" to Klaus.

As I pasted Belmont a kiter whizzed past me on my downwind side. It was Gabor Vagi and behind him was Francis Hu. As they blew past me I gave chase. We caught up with them at the pier when we jibed but I FRIGGEN missed my jibe and fell so I was in third place. I could see that Gabor was heading for the windward side of Chaffee Island so I just kept trucking. As the three of us reached the end of breakwater wall we all jibed and I friggen fell again.

When I got up and going I noticed Gabor and Francis were now on a starboard tack heading for the open ocean behind the breakwater. I stayed port and went to White Island on the windward side and was thrilled about the experience of going deep into the bay towards Grissom Island.

It's very hard to describe because you are all alone, the water is very smooth, and it's still windy as you are heading towards the city. It was awesome because this is what you see....the city.

When I changed direction and heading back towards Chaffee again I saw Gabor and Francis way on the other side of the breakwater still on a port tack. Man were they out there. I went toe-side at Chaffee and headed to the pier when I met back up with Klaus again. He was still very play full and jumping so we headed West past the pier. Double click to make foto larger.

At this point I was following Klaus and he kept pushing past the wind shadow of White Island. When Klaus jibed so did I, but my kite fell out of the sky. It was a "Hindenburg." I was almost able to relaunch my kite but it turned inside-out and I was done. I started to self rescue and Klause tried to grab my board. But out of nowhere arrived and Gabor pushed my board to me.

I was being blown toward the beach as I tried to reel in my lines. Then Klaus landed his kite on the shore to help me. All of a sudden there were two lifeguards that came out to help me. The one on a paddle board took my directional board and the other took the leading edge of the kite as we headed to shore. We got to the beach unscathed and then Gabor came back because he was unable to get past the pier. There was no wind.

We finally got to the shore. Klaus and I thanked the lifegurds for their hard work and Klaus invited them back for a beer as a reward. They thank us and went about their business. In the mean time Gabor came on to the beach and ran East, down the beach towards Belmont.

Once past the pier we assisted him launching his kite as he tried like a mad man to get back to Seal. It took him a while to find the wind but Gabor did make it back.

As we walked past the midddle LG station we had a little chat with Hank Sanchez, that's when Klaus said "Where's my bar man????" I didn't have it and didn't know where it was. So Klaus jogging back to the pier as I contuinued carrying the wet gear to our camp near the Kitesurfari tent. That's when I asked Dan to give me a hand. While we walked back I told him this story. Finally Klaus got back and said he found the bar near the pier. It fell off his kite bar. He was tired after walking and jogging about 3 miles.

Mike Bell, who you may remember won the trip from Captain Kirk's to La Ventanta, was there with his camera. He took a few shots. Mike said this one was some nice make up application.

We finally got our gear under control and headed for home as Mike Bell took this shot to remember the day. Gabor got home safely and Klaus and I got a lot more of an adventure than we wanted. I also discovered how to stretch a kite between two trees and call it a day.

A beautiful sunset.

Bebe is always there when I come home. Maybe its because she runs the house. Yawn, that's why she didn't even bark when I came in in my wet suit. Great training.....huh????

I came inside. told Ruth the story and she said "Pull up the ottoman, turn on the TV, put your feet up and relax." That is exactly is what I did too.

The next morning I looked forward to cleaning up my gear. While I was straightening the lines Ruth called out from our balcony "You remind me of "The Old Man and The Sea." All I know is PLEASE look out for the wind shadow behind White Island. Enough said!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home