Sunday, November 29, 2009

"Sunset is the place today".....Gabor

Sunday November 29, 2009

Today, like any day that follows a day of kiting, we want more. The phone calls and texts started around noon. I let the group that there was nothing at Belmont, so I said "Let's meet up at Seal."

After a few minutes Klaus and John Rost showed up to join me. They were both wearing their full wet suits because they had pumped up at Huntington but the wind dropped off so they drove up to join me. But with no wind John drove back to HB.

Then Rijk drove up looking for wind. Then we got a call from Gabor saying he was at Sunset (Warner Avenue) and he was pumping up. "OK, we're on our way."

If you aren't familier with what we were doing, this gives you a better example of where were were going chasing the wind.

When we got there we saw one kiter on the water, further up the beach, maybe 14th Street. There were two other kiters at the shore line. Double click on the picture to make it bigger.

Klaus, Rijk and I watched as Gabor self-launched. I knew there was enough but Klaus and Rijk didn't think so. I went back to the car and got my stuff.

Klaus grabbed the camera, Rijk grabbed my kite and we were ready to hit the water. Thanks guys for helping out.



I pumped up and heading for the water. As you can see Gabor swung by (looking casual) and called out, "Go parallel to the waves, then go out."

Good advice. I was up and running and heading for a small wave on my way out.

This was a lot like kiting at Cabrillo last week, Gabor and me, and the OPEN ocean.

You know what my job is, work on my jibes......and have some fun while I'm at it.

Klaus got this great shot of Gabor going sideways. How does he do it?????

The surf wasn't that big, but it is a little intimidating when you don't ride it that often.

Thank you Klaus. I was hoping you got at least ONE of my jumps. Naturally they don't hold a candle to my kite partner, but one of these days.....POW, I'll get it.

I think Klaus got this shot to prove that there were beach goers enjoying the sun.

I am happy to report I pulled of a few toe-side transitions and a jibe or two. Nothing to write home about, but it's coming along.

As the wind started dropping off a little it was cool that Klaus was able to grab some shots of the two of us. Most of the time we are out there doing out own thing.

While were were kiting we noticed a guy with a cool Nikon camera with a long lens taking some shots of us while we were out. He took a lot but I liked this one of Gabor going toeside.

And this one of me taking a little wave. The cameraman was Carsten Mejlbo. Thanks Carsten for the added shots.

I don't know why, maybe because of the composition, but love this shot Klaus took. Rijk's helping with the board as we headed up the beach to our cars.

I don't care how old you are there is nothing like spending a little time on the water with you buddy's. Gabor and I had a fun day.

Gabor's wife Tunde was nice enough to take this group shot. Afterwards Rijk and Klaus headed home. They were traveling to New Mexico at 5 AM the next morning and they won't return until Saturday.

Here's the wind graph for the day. Gabor said depending on the direction, the wind intensity can be low on the ikitesurf read-out.

On the way home I had to pull off near Seal and take this sunset shot.
Thanks again Klaus for taking the pictures.

See you on the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home