Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Thursday 2/14/08

I got an email today that the wind was up. Al Navas got out for an hour plus. Good for Al,
I wish I had gone out. A few days before Belmont was marginal. I've inserted two shots, one of Deon Aumair (riding his HUGE foil) and "The Sleeping Kiter" both enjoying the day. Sorry Al, I'll get a shot of you one of these days. By the way "A Special Thanks" goes out to Al for loaning me his Trikke for a few weeks. They are a great workout device....try one, you may like it.



Friday 2/15/08

For me it was up to Hollywood to help a friend finish a "Behind The Scenes" video for Disney. If you remember I mix the post sound. It was a 12 minute montage of old Jim Henson footage from the "Muppet's Show." Jim Henson was a puppet genius. I didn't realize it was going to be visiting day at our house in Belmont. Luca and Lorenzo came over, so did Rijk and Maureen. Then Klaus and Todd. Everybody came to visit and I was in Hollywood. What a bummer.

After dropping off the audio files in Santa Monica, Ruth and I met up on Century Blvd. to go to Sara's graduation ceremony that was held at the Airport Weston Hotel. She has been in the Landmark Leadership Program for two years and she has completed all of her courses. Congratulations, Sara a job well done!!!!! Next step, find a job.

Saturday 2/16/08

Ruth and I attended the 44th Annual Cinema Audio Society Awards at the world famous Biltmore Hotel in downtown L.A. It was truly a fun evening rubbing elbows with the best sound mixers in Hollywood. The film that won best sound mixing for a feature was "No Country for Old Men."




In the top picture, which is the current Board members and a few Past Presidents (including me). Can you can find me? In the back row, fourth from the left. I'm on my tippy toes trying to get my mug in the picture for the official fotog lady. Then Ruth and I grabbed a shot in front of the screen. The event was a blast.

Sunday 2/17/08

Ruth and I were a little tired after the pre-academy party last night. At 11 A.M. this morning it was coffee and the newspaper in bed trying to pry our eyes open. We were talking about the party when she said "Let's do a quick trip to the farmers market." Naturally I said "Sure." What was I going to say "NO!!!"

After the market it was a "quick trip" to PetCo and then home. When we drove down Ocean I noticed a few kiter's arriving so it was time to kick into gear. I drove home, dropped off Ruth and the groceries, then get my kite stuff. Once out on the launch ramp I noticed Al Navas pumped and ready to go. He had rigged his new RRD-15 kite and was holding his new pride and joy that he bought on his visit to La Ventana. It's a "Fat lightwind Skywalker" board. I think he said it was 138 cm. long. But it was the width that looked awesome, like a foot and a half wide. Unfortunately you can't tell from the picture. I can't wait to borrow it during the summer.

After I got my "stuff" together and rigged I was ready to go. Even though the wind was marginal, who cares, here we are in late February and we got out for over an hour. Sure there was a little bit of walking, sure at one point I was doing down-winders and sure it was a little chilly, but who cares because it felt great. At the end of the day the only thing that was really cold was my head and ears.

There were about a dozen kiter's at Belmont and another 5 or 6 down at Seal. At one point Luca arrived just in time to launch me and he also come to my rescue me when my kite snagged the water and went in. The wind being so light it didn't launch until I was almost to the shore. Thanks Luca for being there. Then Bobby showed up and rigged. If you remember at the end of last season he had hurt his knees kiting down south. I asked him how he felt and he said, "I'm about 80%." Which is great to hear. We should be seeing more of him at the beach this summer. Another kiter on the water was Henry riding his Naish Blue and White. About the time the wind died Rijk came down to say hello and help me de-rig. Thanks to all for a great day.

It's Presidents Day tomorrow.
According to the weather report there's a storm approaching on Tuesday, so who knows what tomorrow will bring. Let's hope there's some wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home