Sunday, June 29, 2008

Two adventures in two days....we need a rest

Sunday morning started relatively early. Ruth and I woke up around 8:30, had our coffee and then I rode my bike up to the bagel shop. We knew that Klaus was coming over early and we wanted to have bagels, cream cheese, onions, salmon, avocado and tomatoes for breakfast. Klaus and I had planned on going to Legends for the soccer game and then we were going kiting.

When Klaus made it to the house we had breakfast as planned. Then he and I walked up to Legends while Ruth went to the Farmer's Market. Once inside Legends we happened to find two great seats right in front of this huge TV screen. Actually the match was being shown on a number of screens as well as a Nascar race and a baseball game.

At the bar to my left was a guy wearing a Spain jersey and to Klaus's right was another Spanish fan. When Spain got their one and only goal the place exploded. I think the German's were out numbered. It didn't matter because we noticed the wind blowing through the palm trees on Second Street. So when the first period ended we left for the beach.

We got the beach at a little after noon and by the time I got the cart to the camp Klaus was chomping at the bit to get out. I said, "Go ahead Klaus, I'll be right there." I was running a little behind because I wanted to set up the camp with the umbrella and chairs. Ruth was coming later. It didn't matter because I knew that there was going to be a few of us going on an this new adventure. What I didn't know was this was going to be the longest kite ride I have taken so far.

Just before I launched my kite I took this shot of the sail boat race being held right in front of us. The time was about 12:20.

Originally Klaus, Juluano and I were going to do something, then Joe Wilcox and a friend of Juliano's Scott Dormer joined us. Great, the more the merrier. At first we just went past the pier trying to get as far behind White island as we could. It was a challenge because the wind shadow would almost drop our kites. What was inviting was the smooth water. The other facet was that Joe and Klaus were jumping for their fans on the pier. The people were cheering and taking pictures of them.
At some point I decided to go for the back side of Chaffee. So I set out trying to do it in one tack but it took two. The scary element was there was a sail boat race in this area so we were going in between these large sail boats. This also made the water pretty choppy too. Once past Chaffee we transitioned and headed for the front of White. That's when I thought, "Hey we've never gone behind the back of White......let's try that."
The fun thing is each time we go on these adventures it's like stretching a rubber band, you want to keep stretching it but you don't want to break it. No accidents please. This tack was a real challenge because there was one point where I was almost behind the island but because I was so close to it the wind dropped off so I had to swing my kite and drop a little down wind. This brought me very close to the rocks. It was a little scary and hairy too.
Once we were past the island we tried to get as deep, or as close to the marina as we could. My drawing only shows one tack behind White but we did two because on the second one we got real close to the beach. I was thinking, "We could drop in to Alfredo's and grab some water." But that idea disappeared when the wind dropped off.
This next tack was really long because we went from the back of White to the oil platform. Klaus was not able to get behind White for some reason and had to take an extra tack. So we did a little flip around until he rejoined us. I think it was at this point I realized that Scott had headed back to camp. He told me later he was only flying an 11 and there were spots that didn't have enough wind.

On this tack Joe and Klaus were in front of me and Juliano was a little behind me. Yesterday I broke my leash so today I was without it. I am still getting used to body dragging for my board. I found on this tack I was very conservative with my jumping and screwing around because I didn't want to body drag in this open ocean wave action.
Once we transitioned out near the oil platform it was like getting your second wind. You could see the kites at Belmont and at Seal and you knew your were on your way home and everything was OK. I thought once we were passed the front of Chaffee were were through, but Klaus and Joe were not done yet. They went on a straight shot for the pier again. Juliano headed in and I followed Joe and Klaus. There they were jumping and waving to the people on the pier. What hams.

Unfortunately at this point my drawings start to look confusing because we are retracing our steps. Sorry about that. Anyway I think at some point Joe left us and Klaus was still entertaining the folks on the pier. At one point he pulled off one big ass jump, about 15 feet in the air, and he lost his board. This gave me a chance to test the board pick-up routine Klaus and I had talked about yesterday. I went over picked up his board and dropped it off for him. Not bad for and old guy. It was at this point we headed for the beach for some liquid libation.

This adventure was from about 12:30 to 3 o'clock. For taking a little over two hours we covered a lot of territory.

Thanks Carole Strauch for take the group photo, because I think it shows everyone was having a great day. The five guys that took the long adventure are second from left Juliano Calil, fourth from the left Joe Wilcox, far right Scott Dormer, I'm next to him and third from right is Klaus Schulz. The rest of the beach gang are Bill Swiskow (far left), Mark Strauch (third from left), and Danny Valo (fifth from left).

To give you a contrast of how many kiters were on the beach, this shot was taken about 12:15. There were not that many kites.

This shot was taken a little after 3 o'clock. I'm guessing there were over 60 kites out today.
These are my neighbors Rosie and Jim Fox. They came down to the camp in their new electric cart and wagon that goes 14 mph and can drive 14 miles . Very cool. Klaus wants to get one.
At the end of the day, as we packed up our gear, Ruth and I realized we had just spent another day in PARADISE, and, click-click-click, "There's no place like home."

See you on the beach.

1 Comments:

At June 30, 2008 at 6:06 AM , Blogger ladyofdalakeup said...

Really enjoy your Blog. Stories and photos are wonderful. Explains your passion for the sport.
Nice to see what my son is up too. We don't have many kite surfers on the Great Lakes.
Matt's Mom from Michigan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home