Thursday, June 25, 2009

7, 8, 9, 10.....we have wind!!!!

Today is Thursday June 25 and summer has finally started because we have had wind for four straight days. The score has built from a 7 out of 10, until today, which was a 10.

Monday was a 7. I didn't go to Belmont, I went to Seal Beach with Rijk and met up with Gabor Vagi. Klaus was out of town so he loaned me his Bandit Dos 14 kite to fly. Gabor was going to introduce me to course racing and his board. It was custom built by Jeff Kafka (http://www.wowkite.com/boards.htm). Rijk launched me and I took it out for a little while and realized it was not like any board I had ridden. Not a twin tip, not a directional, not a surf board.

Top view of the Kafka board.

The bottom view.
Unfortunately Gabor had to leave to get back to work so he left me the board so I could use it the next day. Fortunately the wind on Tuesday was much better than on Monday so I was able to ride back and forth and try at Seal to try to understand where to put my weight. It's very sensitive. Unfortunately I was not able to jibe it or go toe side. I just didn't want to screw up his board. At the end of the day he put the board back in his Prius and drove away. All the while I was thinking "One of these days 0I'm going to get a course board."

The next day Rijk and I were back at Belmont and so were the stingrays. I caught the lifeguard roaring off into the sunset taking someone to the warm buckets of the little shack across Ocean.

The other thing that was new is the city had a skip loader leveling out some sand. I got to thinking "One of these days we are going to have a REAL bathroom." Now it's time to kite.


When I went out Rijk had not rigged yet, I think he was waiting for it to build some more. So I decided to go up-wind and screw around near the pier. Even though I was only riding my North twin tip my mind I was still on the Kafka race board. What a movie.

When I got to the end of the breakwater I noticed two kiters coming towards me. Even though they were not close I recognized Gabor's black and white kite. I then did a 180 and started chasing them, knowing the whole while they were on race boards.

As I said there were two kiters heading West towards the back of White Island. I tried everything to go faster, I crouched down to make less drag. I did not try to edge too much thinking it was adding more friction. I was doing it all and the whole time Gabor is going up in the air doing unreal jumps in the middle of the choppy bay. Then they pulled a 180.

Here comes the really cool part, they were going down wind on a port tack. I was going starboard and trying to pinch up wind. When they reversed direction they both were heading straight for me. Gabor leaned out and gave the international signal for a hand slap. Granted it wasn't was of those German "slammers" that Klaus always gives me, but it was a really nice passing slap. Son Nguyen who I think was the other kiter watched as we became childlike.

So off they went behind Chaffee and then maybe to one of those huge ships anchored off of Seal Beach. All I knew was "I'm getting so close to course racing that I can almost feel it."
The day was a lot of fun. After the adventure, I took a little breather and then we went out again and the wind kept blowing. I thought "Will I have anything left for tomorrow?" Of course.

Friday. The morning started out with moving cars around for the city street cleaning. After that I started getting my stuff together for the beach. First Luca dropped by, then Rijk. Then I expected Dan, Kristin, Hank, Kyle and Big Mike. Sorry, see you at the beach. I grabbed this shot of Dave getting his stuff ready and the sand blowing. Yeah BABY the winds up.

When I took this shot of the volleyball courts I figured "Too much for them, just right for us."

While we were pumping Kristin arrived with Dan's cart and she would eventually head up to Hank's spot for another lesson. More getting up on the board.

This shot gives you an idea what is right in front of us at our camp.

If you turn a little to your right you will be facing more West to see the other islands.

Today I wanted to do a similar adventure as I did yesterday. As I got up to the pier I noticed two other kiter's were with me; Gary who was flying a blue Best 12 and Mark who was on a orange and white Ocean Rodeo 12. As the three of us transitioned from the pier and set our sights on the windward side of Chaffee two things happened, Mark was getting a little tired and didn't want to push, and a Naish Sigma joined us. It was none other than Matt Naggus. After the three of us hit the breakwater we turned around. Gary and I headed to the leeward side of White, while Matt headed for the windward side. Hey, I wanted to do that too, except I didn't think of it. Next time Matt we will all go that way.

It was a fun adventure. L-R; Mark, Matt, me and Gary. What a great time.

F-One course racing team member Arnaud Vuillermet is heading home. He's also going to be a father soon. No names have been selected since they don't know the sex. There's a lot of decisions coming Arnaud....believe me.

Kristin (on the left) and Rosemary both got up on boards today. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
This is great news for the boyfriends, now they can stop worrying and go kiting thanks to Hank.

Our beach lookalikes take a moment to pose.

Dan is really happy to hear the news about Kristin kiting down-wind on her board from the Granada ramp all the way down to our camp before coming in. Nice job.

The end of the day has come. Time to go home and crack open a nice cold beer.
.
Hope to see you on the water tomorrow....Maybe it will be another 10, who knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home