Friday, March 18, 2011

Belmont wind, a stingray bite & a trip to Sunset Beach. All good times with friends

March 18, 2011

At about 12:30 Michael D. (on the left) drove up to the house and said he was back in town from Oahu and wanted to kite. I told him I would be down in a few. Then I called Klaus and texted Dan, Kris, Kyle and Harley Mike. He's in the center. The three of us met up on the beach. Michael was on the water when I arrived. I'm not as fast as I used to be.
I took this shot of our stuff on the beach. To me it feels great that the group is getting together again as the season starts.
As I pumped I noticed Michael was on the water and powered up.... I've got to move fast.
I couldn't help but notice the new SCKA Social Chairman, Bart Miller (www.socalkites.com) had a beach lesson. He recovered from his stingray bite from yesterday just fine.
"Do as I say not as I do".... I took a few passes but the wind wasn't very strong. I pumped my 12 again so had to walk up the beach a few times. On one of my launches I walked out one step too much in the water and OUCH!!! If you want to learn more about stingrays go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray.

I tried Bart's idea of pouring alcohol on the wound but decided to go for the tried and true remedy... hot water. After the soaking I walked back to the beach and since the wind died at Belmont the new plan was to drive to Sunset.
Well it looked promising when we arrived. Hank Sanchez was on the water so we got our gear.
Klaus rigged first but the wind died so he started chatting with a windsurfer from New York who was out here vacationing.....
Susi and Hank's silhouette against the waves looked like a photo op to me. They were waiting for the wind too.
We rigged but it didn't look promising so Michael D. did some beach repairs.
Hank, Klaus and I had a chance to catch up with our lives. We all look forward to trips to Lake Isabella and Sherman Island....and warm weather.
We packed up, but the wind did come back a little and Susi was able to get out.... next time guys
We all look forward to returning to Sunset, Huntington and Leo as the kiting season begins anew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home