Sunday, March 30, 2008

When 10 isn't enough, crank it up to 11!!!!!

Sometimes it's hard to express to the outside world what a great day consists of down here at the beach. For Ruth and I it started out with coffee and the newspaper in bed. The day was warm and beautiful. Somewhere around noon Dan (our son) walked in as I was doing some repairs on my North kites. We didn't expect the visit. Next his cousin Jason walked in. Their arrival was a little surprising but not unusual at the beach.

We got the kite gear together and proceeded to the beach. Naturally there were a few phone calls from friends wondering how the wind was. At the time the wind was pretty mellow.

Once we got to the beach and realized it was overcast, we wondered if the wind was going to come up at all. We started rigging the small kite for Jason knowing that no matter what he would get some sand sliding time in.

Dan (on the left) shows Jason the ins and outs of pumping up a kite. Dan has the electric pump and Jason is doing all the work with the manual pump. You know the deal, student-teacher.

Jay's first day of kiting was last Sunday. Six days later he was eager to push the envelope. First he did a little sand sliding, then he wanted in the water.

This is body dragging-101. By the way, Jason has that rare commodity called perseverance. Remember he has a little over three hours of kiting at this point and he is going for it. BIG TIME!!

This is such a funny shot because Naji had called me earlier and asked me how the wind was. At the time is was not great. Then he heard it was blowing, but he was having guests at 4 o'clock. He came to the beach, jumped in front of the camera, got out and kited, and had his guests "hang around" his place until he got off the water. Now that's a dedicated kiter.

When my back was turned Jason told Dan that he wanted to try to get up on a board. Dan is giving him the basics of getting up on the board from the beach.

In the mean time I pointed my camera and caught Bobby getting some major air. Can you believe that just a few months ago he had some major knee problems. Great recovery Bobby.

Jason decided to take a little break and I convinced Dan to take out a smaller board than he had been using. He grabbed my Litewave 148 and went to the next level.

While I was trying to help Dan get out on the short board I couldn't help but notice all of the great kiting that was going on right in front of us. We had front row seats for some great tricks. Here Faycal is getting some major air. I just wished I could have caught the one when he was holding his board mid-air. Darn, I missed it. Maybe tomorrow.

I think with all the inspiration around him Jason decided to go for one more try.

Unbelievable!!!!! Jason is on top of the water and kiting. Just last Sunday he was flying a trainer kite. Tomorrow he will be jumping. OK maybe going up wind.

Not wanting to be outdone by his cousin Dan decided to go for one more ride. This time he looks awesome and in complete control. It is a proud father and uncle who can say that he was out on the water as his kid or his nephew was out doing his thing. And I saw it, I was right there, I'm an eyewitness. I asked Jason at one point if it scared him when I was cheering him on and yelling while he was trying to get up.He said "It was no problem, it sounded like it was coming from behind him." Total disconnect.

Kyle and Patricia Van were caught together on the beach. What a great couple. A real inspiration.

In the mean time Rijk had returned from Canada, skiing with his parents, and Luca had found a kite in the sand. The two are really getting into "KITING." How long is that line, 10 meters??????

Dan was done for the day, but wanted to know what the next step after a 12 "C" was. I said "Let's go for a 14 or 16 tomorrow." I think that both Dan and Jason have the KITE bug.

Sometimes you just have to do a beach pose to make you feel that you have been captured for posterity. Here we are; (l-r) Dan, Jason, Rijk, Bobby, Luca and me. Let's do it again tomorrow.

A little reward after getting cleaned up.

Sorry, I've got to have a closing sunset shot. See you on the beach. JC

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2015 at 11:19 PM , Blogger alina said...

Nice Post. Really electric kite pump for inflatables works very good. You should try this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home