Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thank you for two more days of wind!!

Friday and Saturday at Belmont was a lot of fun!!

I didn't get many shots of Friday because we were out "playing" most of the afternoon. Klaus came down after work, Rijk came to the beach to mend his ribs and everyone else came to get in a little kiting.

Because the wind was a little light I decided to spend most of my time riding my Becker 6' surfboard. I am bound and determined to get the downwind jibe and riding toe side. It didn't happen today but I had a lot of fun trying.

I did get an end of the day shot at the beach. The sun had a little way to go but the wind had died so it was time to head home.

Ruth had a little surprise for me, she set up some food and drinks on the roof-top deck. Summer is wonderful when it's warm and now we finally have nice temps at dusk. As you can see her tomatoes are starting to come in too. I can't wait to taste them.

As the sun was setting you can see a small flock of parrots flying by. They are small green parrots that can be seen and heard in the evening in the palm trees across the street from Von's on Ocean. And are they loud!!! When there are only four they sound cute.

It's now Saturday and the crowds are starting to hit the beach. Klaus could not find a parking spot so he donated $10 to the city of Long Beach. There were a lot of people and kiters. It was also a day to help others. Rosemary felt today was the day she was going to get up on the horse and ride into the sunset.

Klaus decided to give Rosemary a few beach pointers. They look all smiles now but he's a strict teacher.

I could remember hearing Klaus telling Rosemary, "Don't be a grandma, drop the kite hard so it can pull you up."

Yes she may have crashed here, but she was actually putting the pieces together. Kiting may look simple, but in reality you are trying to train your body to do something new and very different.

Klaus gives Rosemary a few more words of encouragement. She was not a quitter.

WOW!!! Rosemary is up and going.

It's hard to tell but Rosemary got a stingray bite to the bottom of her foot. I didn't want to show you the blood, but after a few minutes the lifeguard came over and washed her foot off. Then the truck picked her up and whisked her away to soak her foot in hot water. Poor Aaron drew the short straw because he had to wrap up all the gear.

As Klaus and I walked back to the camp he asked me what time it was. I asked a gentleman that was sitting on the beach and he said, "Five minutes to 6." Klaus said, "Mitch is getting off work and he's going to use my kite."

Klaus is raising his F-One Bandit Dos 14 m so Mitch can go out.

Mitch is ready to go. I got to thinking, this is one of the greatest things about the kiters here, they share their gear and they are very friendly. I think we have some of the greatest people here at Belmont Shore.

Off goes one happy lifeguard. For those that are interested look at his body posture, he's going a little downwind, his front leg is pretty straight and he's looking where he wants to go. Very text book.

After the kiting was over it was time for, beer, Margareta's and chips. MMMM

Alexandra and Matt joined Rijk, Ruth and me for a little food and drink. The end of another great day of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home