Sunday, March 7, 2010

Saturday and Sunday...we had wind

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Had some great fun today...

Dan, Rijk and I went to Belmont knowing that we had to be off the water around 5 o'clock in order to make Gabor's meeting at 7....in Huntington. We made it and got in some kiting too.

We left the rest of the wind to Rijk, Kyle and the others that were still on the water.

Sunday, March 7, 2010


O.M.G. Unreal wind today!!!!

Today was a make-up at home day or "Before you go out there are a few things I would like done." So while I cleaned up the family room and spare bedroom, Dan cleaned up the garage. When I finished I helped him finish up. Christopher (the windsurfer) at some point called from his house "It's windy!!!" We started moving very quickly.

It was about 2:30 when we got to the end of the Claremont launch ramp. What we saw was like an out-of-body experience. Five guys, some only in trunks, were "playing" at the beach. I quickly put on my wet suit and wanted to get warm and I was still dry.

When Dan and I started rigging we noticed the clouds looking pretty "Dark and WET" if you know what I mean.

Aaron was eager to get on the water. He wasn't very lucky yesterday....but he did get wet.

Gabor was pumped and ready to go. How is that guy so fast???? Does he have a pump in his motor home????

There was a bunch of jaw-boning on the beach. L to R: Luca, Steve, Henry and Rijk. No one seemed in any hurry.

It was time to put the camera down and get on the water. When you double click on this picture you can see Christopher and Radko, the two windsurfers out there having fun too.

There was a point when the wind instantly died. I was near the island and needed to get in fast. Unfortunately the tip of my kite hit the water and my kite went in. As I was trying to relaunch I noticed Al Navas and Kyle Van on the beach. When my kite did relaunch I made my way to the beach. Then I saw Rijk helping another kiter that was in the water.
Then suddenly the sky opened up and it started raining. Then the wind starting blowing. It was unreal. While I was rolling up my lines I looked out and Henry's kite was down on the water. Then it relaunched and it was all he could do to keep it under control. Al said bye to me and ran to help Henry, and Kyle went to help Rijk. It was crazy!!

I got to the launch ramp and grabbed my camera. Gabor was walking back as Peter was wrapping up his lines.

Todd on the right was telling his horror story to Gabor as Christopher and Radko chat in the background. Kiters and windsurfers all happy to be on the shore.

Then the rain stopped and the wind returned. Here is Dan getting air as Chad approaches on his Best and Christopher goes port also.

Dan is in the foreground and Gabor heads out. Check the clouds in the background.

As I was done for the day I couldn't help but keep shooting. Dan is up again.

I think Gabor was over 20 feet in the air in this shot. I wish I had brought my video camera. Oh well that's another story.

As my camera batteries were dying I had to get a shot of Christine, a young lady that is going to school at USC. She's a great kiter and is here from Belgium. Rijk just happens to like the way she kites too.

The last shot of the day as I headed home to a warm shower and a "Hot Toddy" and the Academy Awards. I was off on a lot of the choices....like Best Picture. Next year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home