Monday, April 11, 2011

Three days and counting


Saturday, Sunday and Monday


April 9, 10, 11


Saturday and Sunday were great days at the beach. Lots of kiters returned to Belmont to kite and catch up on things. The wind was pretty good but mostly it was saying "Hello" to the new season.


Monday

Today was a great surprise. I noticed a few kites in the air a little after 3 o'clock so I scampered down to the beach. I stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out whether to rig big (15 sq.m.) or rig normal (12 sq. m.). I chose the 12 and while going out Trevor walked past and said he was over powered on his 13.... so off I went.

My intention was just to just pass some time while Dan or Klaus arrived at the camp, so my first tack was to try to get to Chaffee Island. I didn't quite make it but when I jibbed I noticed the wind direction was very good and there was quite a bit of wind out there.

After almost getting to the pier I decided to jibe and see how close I could get to the windward side of Chaffee Island. I was not able to make it past the island on this reach so one more pass and I could get past the most western part. There were two kiters close to Chaffee but they were not going behind the island.

Once I reached the pier I knew I could easily get past the island. This is the point when you are by yourself you start the think of things that could happen and your escape plan. "If my kite goes down near the breakwater I could self-rescue to Seal and then hitch a ride home." Stop over thinking, nothings going to happen. When I made the jibe near the breakwater wall I didn't pull it off, so in the water to cool off. Then it was head for White Island. The wind was very strong in that section between the island and the wall, and the water wasn't too choppy either. Fun!! The wind was still strong as I headed for White but I could feel it dropping off a little so I jibed and headed to the break wall again. This was really fun because you are going with the swells and the wind was cooking. Actually at one point I was thinking of de-powering, but didn't want to risk it. BTW it's a lot more fun going out there with someone. Less stressful.


One more jibe and I smashed in the water face first. That wasn't fun. I got back up and I was on a port reach and crash, back in the water again. What was going on??? Was I loosing it?? That's when I decided to head back and see who was there. Enough excitement for one day.


As I zigged and zagged back to Belmont I could see Klaus was on the water so we rode a few passes and then the good old switch clicked and it was back to the beach. Fortunately I brought a few cold ones so Klaus and I just sat on the beach and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon. Later Steve Lee and Ruth and the dogs joined us to cap off the end of a wonderful kite day. No wind today, hope there's wind tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home