Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Twenty-four hours can mean a lot. To me it means yesterday was great, today not so great.

Yes, yesterday was fantastic kiting. Sure it was up and down, actually three up and downs. The last up tick started about 3:30 and lasted until after the sun went down.

The first shut-off happened about the time that Jason and I got there, a few kiter's left Belmont for Sunset, but there were a number of us that had met up at Belmont so it was not so easy to pack it in and move. Besides Jason, my nephew, wanted to try side shore kiting. He didn't know it but he wanted that special merit badge for "Side-On." He had seen his cousin do it a few weeks earlier and also saw Dan do his first self-rescue. So Jason might as well give it a try. He did find there was a lot of hard walking into the wind to get back to base camp.

When the wind came up for its last hurrah at 3:30 who knew it was going to last four hours. Klaus and I started playing like little kids. No, it was more like synchronized swimmers. Our two North kites were tucked right behind one another, like race cars racing back and forth on the race track. First one was in the lead, then the other was leading.

It was funny because I think what got it started was a few passing hand slaps that we did. No problem getting off the passing high five, but sometimes they were pretty aggressive. Ouch, down right hard slaps. So then Klaus did a quick tack and he was right next to me, to my left, and we both were going in the same starboard direction. He was yelling something like "Give me your hand." I looked over and he was right next to me holding out his right hand. No way, that looked crazy.

Next we were going back and fourth following one another and most of the time in the wake of the others board. I have the movie in my head. It's really cool, but I can't take it out and show you. We did this for quite a while trying to get very close to one another and even trying to synchronize our turns. It was a lot of fun. Then, at one point Bobby joined us and there now were three kiter's in lock-step grooving on our great kite work. Did anyone take some pictures from the beach????

Well we did this as long as possible, about 4 hours, then the bodies started to fall apart. Chad, Klaus, myself, Bobby, and a number of others "wrapped" up the kiting because we were getting tired and a little cold. As a matter of fact, while we were wrapping up our gear Omar walked back to camp and said he had had a great day too......except for the long walk from the peninsula.

Here is a screen print of the day. My son Dan sent to me. Thanks Dan.

This shot of Klaus doesn't make much sense here but I'm throwing it in because it's funny. It's from Saturday.

This is a shot from the past. It's Bobby in full make-up, "I coulda been a contender."

A daily ritual down on the ramp is this dog in the basket. Next time I'll get closer.

My last "throw-in" is of four North kites walking up the beach. The angle could have been a little better, but who cares.
Today is Wednesday and we wanted more. Bobby is doing the wind dance in his Speedo's because he liked the wind yesterday and he wanted to kite again today.
Honestly Bobby I think you've lost some weight. Nice going Baby!!!

Klaus starts pumping. Little does he know that Deon, who is right in front of him, had been out for a while. Naturally on his huge foil. Did anyone see Deon's pump? Tee hee.

There was a big brother to Dion's foil, a glider kite, doing some "learning" down at the beach today. Does that look huge or what?

The day is over and no one was fulfilled. Kyle is wrapping up his lines and Bobby is doing WHAT? Sit-ups????

There are all kinds of ways to carry your stuff back to your car. Here is another variation.
Ruth and I walked out to the end of the Claremont ramp to see the sunset. We also got to watch a boat race. It looked fun.
Wow....I think this red sail was winning. It seemed so much faster and what a huge spinnaker.
At the end of the day there was one lone kiter trying to fly his big Naish right up to the limit. You GO Guy!!!! Naturally we hope tomorrow brings wind. Especially because Klaus has to fly out on Friday to Oregon and won't be back for a while. Come on wind....COME ON!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home