Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tuesday, four days of kiting and counting

It's Tuesday and it's our fourth day in a row.
NO WAY DUDE!!!
*
The day started off by talking to my nephew Jason to see whether he was coming down today. He has been so busy with his new house, his wedding and the bachelor party that there has been little time for kiting. I also knew if he could, Dan was going to come down to Belmont too.

Jason drove up to the house about 2 o'clock and the wind was already cranking. We got our stuff together and headed down to the beach. It's been about a month since he has been on the water so I was going to hang with him today while he got his "sea legs" back.

We got our kites rigged and both launched without a hitch. Jason went out on a starboard tack without a problem. He transitioned and was going upwind...SWEET. So for an hour or so he and I rode up as far as La Palpa and down to the Junior Lifeguard area just having a lot of fun.
I so appreciated getting an email tonight from Mark Strauch because he sent a few shots from our kiting today. This one is Jason and me going on a port tack past Chaffee Island toward the pier.

Then to my surprise Dan was out on the water, jumping, going toe side and doing 180 degree Ollie's. He makes them look so easy I have been doing them too. In addition today is day 31/2 of not using my leash. I'm feeling more confident but I'm still working on my body dragging to get my board.
Another shot that Mark sent was Juliano jumping. The funny thing was when Juli and I were wrapping up our gear on the ramp we were talking about the fact that when you try real hard to pull off a jump it doesn't happen. But often when you "pull the trigger" and everything is just right and pull off a great jump....but no one sees it. Well now Juliano has a shot of himself jumping.

He looks happy doesn't he?


It was after 6 when we came in and decided to call it a day. Jason had to take off, but before he did I gave him a big hug and did a "knuckle bump". I told him how proud I was of his progress because today he was able to ride upwind all the way to La Palapa without a problem. He was also making a lot of transitions and even trying some jumps. OK, maybe the jumps need a little work, but at least he was trying a few things that were stretching his skills.

And Dan, what can I say...he's getting some major air now. I'm guessing about 15 feet, and today he landed one of his port jumps perfectly.

This is what kiting is all about, seeing and helping your children, relatives and friends get better at a sport you love so much. I had such a great day today and felt so good I sent Jason and Dan the following message. "Guys, I want to savor this memory forever. The three of us out there enjoying ourselves individually and yet together. We were having such fun. I hope I never forget this day."

My closing shot is a boat parked near White Island. An end to a perfect day

I hope you had a great day too and hope to see you on the beach soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home