Friday, August 15, 2008

Rat Beach on Thursday.

On Thursday we decided to go to Rat Beach in Torrance. Matt had gone to Sunset the day before and it was pretty good, but late so the three of us wanted to take a chance on something new and hopefully exciting. Besides Matt and I were in Pedro and Dan lives there. Enough said.

Look at these young studs. They are ready to tear up the waves at Rat Beach. To get there from Pedro Matt decided to take me the scenic route. Dan called it the long way, but we made it.

What a great view of sunbathers and surfers. What a great view and nice place

The rigging is not exactly next door like Belmont. There's a little bit of hoofing in order to find the rigging spot.

In among the sea-weed we found a spot to rig, but now we needed some wind. A photographers credit should be given here, it seems as though Mark Strauch was walking his dog and when Matt was parking his car they ran into Mark. Then he went home to drop off the dog and grabbed his camera. Thanks Mark!!!!!!

Deon's "brother" was there. Tee hee, just kidding. There was a guy riding a big foil on a big ass Skywalker board. We bit hook line and sinker and followed him in. Will we never learn?????

I drew the short straw and headed for the water.

I think the thought here was if the old guy goes down no sweat, if one of the studs goes down they will hear about it from the locals and friends.

Dan got his kite in the air only to drop it in the surf. I was able to get out but essential did a port down-winder. When I knew I wasn't going to get back I looked for a beach that looked safe to land. The lifeguard was great, first she ran out and grabbed my board in the surf, and then ran for the kite. I yelled, "Have you landed a kite before?" She said. "NO." I said "Don't worry, just grab the big fat section in the middle and hold it." She grabbed the middle of the leading edge, I dropped my lines and ran for the kite. Everything was fine. Then Mark and Dan arrived to help me back.

The last lone kiter was on a 17 Slingshot and we think a large directional board. In the low wind he was able to stay out and up. We couldn't.

At the end of the day it looked like a storm was moving in. Maybe it did, but we didn't stick around. We had some eating and drinking to catch up on.

Klaus and I are off to Lake Isabella on Saturday morning. Dan and Steve went up Friday. Danny Velo and friend are bringing up their windsurfers on Saturday too. Hope we have a good time. We also hope there is wind for the kite boarding contest at Belmont.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home