Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sunset was my pick for today. I guessed right!!!!

Yesterday was pretty good at Belmont but today we wanted to go further, so my idea was to head to Sunset/Surfside. When the wind started coming up at the house I packed up the Honda and called Matt Naigus. The time was about 1:30 and he was up for the adventure so he drove over to the house, threw his stuff in the back of the CR-V and headed for Sunset Beach.

On the way we made a few "hands free" calls. First to Dan...I left a message. Next to John Rost, he said he would meet us at Sunset but it might be a while. Next to Luca, he said he was going to Belmont. Then to Klaus, he said he was in Riverside and would be there as soon as he could.

Once Matt and I got to Sunset we drove around looking for a good parking spot. No one wants to drag their kite stuff too far. Don't want to get tired before it's time. We lucked out and found a pretty good spot. Once parked we walked our kite gear over to Surfside.


When you come upon the beach, to me it's really breath taking. It's not that it's outrageously beautiful, it's not that the waves are so overwhelming, it's not that the sand or beach "eye candy" is that great, but I think it's that it is "RAW", different and challenging. So we started rigging out kites.

At some point Dan called and said that he was heading for Belmont and was going to pass. I said "It's ragging at Sunset. Don't miss it." He said, "Pass."

This is the view to the West. I think you can see kiters at Seal and Belmont.

Klaus arrived and Matt was pumped. I launched them because I was having trouble with the leading edge of my Rhino 12. The valve would pop into the bladder and the air would go out. FRIG!!

The wind was blowing between 18 and 20 mph and Klaus and Matt were having a ball.

At one point I looked up the beach and I noticed Matt's kite doing loops but he was in the water some where. Later he told us that he did a back flip and his line wrapped around his bar. At that point he was dragged under the water and was happy that Klaus was there catching his kite.

This rats nest is what Matt had to deal with.

At some point Dan showed up. He said that he went to Belmont and the wind shut off so he drove to Sunset. On the right is Rondi and her boy friend.

Sean and John arrived as Klaus was going port. The told me they measured the wind at 20 mph.

With the wind and waves Klaus was getting some outrageous jumps. I'm guessing this jump was between 15 to 20 feet. I just wish I caught the KURSPLASH!!!

Dan demonstrates his technique of getting out. First body drag through the first set of waves.

The next step requires some timing. Dan gets up a head of steam as he heads for a wave. Naturally you have to be ready to jump it.

John and Sean did great on their first visit to Sunset. Both were able to get out without a problem.

Klaus was still jumping. He's like the energizer bunny, he just keeps going and going

At one point Dan grabbed Klaus's kite and Matt's board and went out.

I went out on John's kite and Klaus's board.

Dan got in some surfing and I....

got in some jumping. Thanks Klaus for taking the pictures.

He also got this one of the old grey guys. I think he's in his 70's and I'm going to be 68, but who's counting?????

As we wrapped it up I could only think how I was going to tell Ruth that I blew out the bladder on my 16. I'm guessing it's going to run about $200 to fix. Don't anyone tell her....OK!!!!!

At the end of the session we all went over to Taco Surf on PCH. Mmmm was that good. We never know what tomorrow will bring, all we know is that today was GREAT!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home