Monday, April 6, 2009

I think the wind is coming back!!!

I think the wind is coming back...FINALLY!!!

Check it out...on Friday April 3rd Rijk and I did our first kite adventure for 2009 at Belmont. We did a down-winder to Seal and made it back before the wind dropped. I think we were lucky we didn't have to take the bus or call Ruth for a ride.

Today was also the first time I took the pictures with my cell phone. Not bad. As you can see there were white caps and the ships were turned towards the port.

On the down-wind leg Rijk and I were heading for the marina entrance when I pointed, "Let's go." He told me later he thought I meant let's go behind Chaffee Island.

When we arrived at Seal there was just one other kiter. As we played in the waves and went back and forth a few more kiters joined us. When we decided to head back to Belmont Rijk, on his 16 North made is up-wind very easily. I on the other hand had to tack a number of times to just get past the marina jetty. It was close too because I was looking straight at the guys fishing on the rocks.

By the time we got back there were a number of kiters at Belmont, but the wind directions was more on-shore that before.

We decided to wrap it up and head for home. Ruth took this shot of the two adventurous kiters.

The next day, Saturday the 4th, brought out a lot of kiters and others.

Here a guy is using a wind surfer sail to ride in the parking lot.

There was even a guy trying to use a trainer kite to ride his "Big Wheel" on the bike path.

It wasn't packed, but there were a number of kiters out today.

Dan is rigged and ready to go.

With plenty of wind Dan is off and running.

Rijk was right behind him.

Todd grabs his new directional board. He wants to get the hang of using it so he can ride the surf.

My new neighbor Christopher has been here a lot with his windsurfer. Welcome to Belmont.

Bobby is ready to go too.

I love this shot of Dan going port. Shooting directly into the sun gives an interesting reflection and the back-lite quality. Ruth doesn't like it because she can't see Dan's face.

Klaus drove down after work to check out the wind. He plans on coming down tomorrow and hopes to kite. He has been working a lot lately. Good for him.

At the end of the day I happen to capture the new Carnival ship Splendor. It is the largest ship to dock in Long Beach, 3000 passengers. On the right is the LB Fire boat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home