Thursday, July 2, 2009

Down wind adventure to Seal

When I got to the beach Rijk was finishing one of those huge Italian sandwiches from Anglo's Deli. Yesterday he had a cheese sandwich. Not as satisfying. No way!!! Cheese OK, big meat sandwich much better.

By the time we got there the wind had backed off a little and we waited until it came back up. Then we started rigging.

Mike Noel was going out for his second session. We had better get a move on. While we were pumping Rijk said something like, "I think Seal is calling us Jim." I said, "I think so since I didn't make it yesterday." We both launched and set our sights for Seal.

I did notice that when Rijk, and Kyle, who joined us after we started, turned down wind to Seal Beach much earlier than I did. I went closer to the oil platform before going down wind. We all three got to the beach at about the same time though.

We were tacking back and forth jumping off the lips of these little rollers and really enjoying the warm water from the generating plant when Gabor Vagi joined us. I looked like he had just returned from one of his little blasts around the container ships that are out in the open ocean past the breakwater. The four of us went back and forth until Kyle gave a head tap or "Head for home."
Gabor and I did a passing hand slap and we started the up-wind tacking process back to Belmont.

On my starboard tack I noticed Kyle was going way out past the oil platform. I turned a little before but discovered that I needed one more tack in order to make it past the marina entrance. I think Kyle made it in two tacks.
By the time we got back to Belmont the wind was starting to die pretty fast. It was a struggle to get back to the lifeguard tower and not have to walk up the beach too far.

By this time Ruth had come to the beach and she was kind enough to take this group shot. From the left it's Todd, Luca, Rijk, me, Kyle and Dong. Chalk up another great day at Belmont.

When Rijk, Ruth and I arrived back at the house we were all a little tired, so we sat in the front area throwing peanuts on the ground for the blue jay that kept coming around. Next Ruth fixed an awesome dish of pasta with the Polish kielbasi that Matt brought to the house on Sunday. Mmmm. Very good Matt and Alexandra.

Hope it blows tomorrow......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home