Friday, November 7, 2008

Little wind on Wed.., nothing on Thurs. or Fri.

On Wednesday it started blowing around 12:30. So I decided to drive to Seal and see if I could get in some time on Dan's surfboard, AKA "The Becker."

The funny thing was I was the first kiter to arrive at Seal. I was pretty sure the wind was going to build so I started rigging. Then a few other guys arrived. All told there were four kiters and two wind surfers that went out. I was able to get in about an hour and a half. Two hours would be pushing it. I wasn't keeping a clock on it though. I had a pretty good time riding the little waves with the Becker, but I didn't get one jibe in. One of these day.

When I was de-rigging at the end of the day a funny thing happen , the young lifeguard drove over to me in the parking lot and asked where I had been kiting. Then he recited all the rules about kiting in the mouth of the river, keeping a 100 feet away from surfers and on and on. I had heard them before but I guess he wanted to prove he could give them to me all at once. After wards one of the windsurfers came over to me and said, "I owe you dinner. That speech was for me because I was in the mouth of the river." I said. "Don't worry about it I enjoyed hearing the speech."

When Klaus got off work he drove his Harley to Seal and we had a beer and chatted with Son, one of the other kiters. We BS the gammet: from Harleys, to kites, to boards, beer, etc, etc. Then it was time to head home. Wednesday was an OK day.

Thursday was also a beautiful day because of the Santa Ana conditions. But not a whisper of wind today. I drove to Seal hoping something would happen.....BUT NO!!!! So I took some pictures instead.

Santa Catalina looked really close today. It's hard to believe it's about 30 miles away. You can see a little L.A. smog around the island. Sorry about that.

When I drove over that little bridge coming from Seal to Marina Avenue, there's that little group of shops if you go straight. I stopped and grabbed this shot of a sail boat coming in.

When I arrived back in Belmont I decided to drive out the Clairmont ramp to catch a sunset shot. This time of day is so peaceful. There are a few seagulls and pelicans flying by. A huge container ship off in the distance and that huge ball of fire sinking into the sea. The silence is fantastic. Waves plapping the beach and the distant the haunting fog horn at the end of the marina entrance. So beautiful words can not describe it.

It's now Friday evening and nothing happened here at Belmont, wind wise. It was a beautiful day and evening, but unfortunately there was no wind.

Ruth and I went to Costco, picked up some things and got some gas. Then when we got back to BS I grabbed up Klaus's kite and took it up to Mail Boxes Etc. to calculate how much it costs to ship a kite to Colorado. The fast price was $120, the slow was $75. Klaus had a buyer for his kite but he wanted the shipping included. Unfortunately the buyer passed.

At the end of the day I took a shot of the moon.

And of the port. I think the colors and the lights look great.

Tomorrow USC plays Cal at 5 P.M. so I hope you all root for the home team. Dan, Jason, Klaus and the rest of the gang are hoping for wind...and from what I saw on the news tonight it just may happen too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home