Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 6th, goodbye Michael.....

Today Michael Jackson was buried.

Ruth and I've spent most of the day watching television and listening all about MJ. Each time they had a speaker or one of his songs I flashed back to 1985. That was about the time we started our company. We renting space from Barry Gordy's Motown facility in Hollywood. That's where I mixed "Beat It." While I was working on the mix MTV was there filming because it was to be part of the 25th Anniversary of Motown Records.

Michael was there as well as Quincy Jones his producer. I just watched Beat It again from the beginning on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxo1SKB0z8). See what you think? Bob Giraldi, the director of Beat It, and I worked together a number of times over the years including the famous Pepsi commercials of 1988.

I believe this shot was taken around 1988. I think we were mixing a Pepsi commercial that was produced by Bob Giraldi and Michael wanted to add some sound effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTgjz0eGdlc

During the memorial for Michael, a funny thing happened, Magic Johnson mentioned that he and Michael shared some chicken and Michael ordered KFC. Ruth and I both wanted to have KFC for lunch. While driving there I was listening to CNN and Larry King mentioned that the montage footage that was being projected on the wall behind the people during the ceremony had been edited by Chuck Workman. I pulled over and texted Chuck because he and I have worked together for 30 years. If you haven't seen any of the pictures of the memorial services click on the link below.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Michael-Jackson-Memorial/ss/events/en/070609mjacksonstaple#photoViewer=/090709/ids_photos_ts/r1674900001.jpg

My understanding is there's going to be a tribute DVD that will include his memorial service and the footage shot during his rehearsals. I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home